home Sport Leeds What? Leeds Met!: Met Overcome Uni in Feisty Varsity Clash

Leeds What? Leeds Met!: Met Overcome Uni in Feisty Varsity Clash


1st Half Summary by Stephanie Mcguire

The University of Leeds have taken the varsity rugby crown for the past two years so it was defiantly the time for Leeds Met to triumph over their rivals and bring home the most anticipated trophy. After winning five scrums, seventeen line-outs  seven turnovers, six knock-ons, and conceding seven penalties, Leeds Met certainly won the right to be titled the 2013 varsity rugby union champions at the renowned Headingley Carnegie Stadium.

The crowds were hyped and the atmosphere was electric, Leeds Met kick off the game winning an immediate line out and there is no stopping the team from there. Robbie Martie (11) delivers an amazing first-rate run scoring a Try within the first two minutes of play gaining the team a speedy 5 points. Leeds Met was dominating the game and the early score piled the pressure onto the previous title claimers.

Going strong throughout, the Met made 62 crucial tackles and showed great defense skills just one metre away from the try line preventing Uni (despite  their best efforts) from gaining any points and winning back the ball.

Leeds Met kept possession of the ball which led to another exceptional try from Alesandro Ricci (15) seizing them a further 5 points. With just over 20 minutes until half-time the Met team are beating Uni 10-0.

Uni wins a penalty empowering Jak Gaff (10) to earn the team 3 points. Their joy is short-lived when after an incredible run from Met’s number 13; Captain Will Cargill increases the score by another 3 points. The score with 9 minutes to halftime is 13-3 to Leeds Met and the team appears strong and unbeatable.

A Leeds Met line out leads to a scrum which is won by Uni, their kick towards the Uni try line brings Leeds Met close to another try but not quite. Then with a clinching 30 seconds remaining until halftime an exuberant run by number 11 and a joyous score from number 12 Luke Peter makes the score 18-3, until the successful conversion by captain Will Cargill kicks the total to 20-3 to Leeds Met. Uni is left looking deflated but still their passion is evident and their determination is more apparent than ever.


2nd Half Summary by James Marshall

Met went into the second half in the same manner that they finished the first. A fantastic lay-off to Josh Swarkeston gave Met another early try. This time it was four minutes into the opening of the half.

From the 60th minute Uni really began to have a go at Met for the vast majority of the match remaining. It took Uni until the last ten minutes to see them play some of their best rugby. Tom Baines battled through, in the 72nd minute, to give Uni their first try of the game. Within minutes of Uni getting their first try they nearly had their second through a handling error by a Met player. Uni thought they’d capitalised when they touched the ball down but the referee pulled the game back for a foul.

Uni did eventually grab their second try, followed by a conversion, right on the 80th minute. From this point the referee seemed reluctant to end the match, despite the clock running out of time. It became a backs to the wall job for Met, with Uni wanting to chip away at the score margin.

Met held off this late surge to win the game 25-15. When the referee finally called time, on this thrilling spectacle, it was a cue for Met players and fans to engage in triumphant celebrations. Robbie Martie was awarded the man of the match award for the night.

Met won the 2013 varsity with a comfortable 37 ½ – 17 ½ score.

Congratulations to everyone who competed in this year’s varsity, you have done your university proud.


Social Widgets powered by AB-WebLog.com.